The Law Student Division Assembly is an opportunity for ABA Representatives and SBA Presidents to represent their law school by voting on resolutions that will help form the Division’s voice within the ABA for the coming year. ABA Representatives and SBA Presidents will receive training about their roles as representatives, mingle with fellow leaders at other law schools, and vote for national representatives. Events being on Thursday morning and culminate with the Assembly on Friday afternoon.
- 2016 Meeting Schedule
- Letter to law school administrators to request help with trip costs.
- Greater ABA Annual Meeting information – events and info beyond the Law Student Division.
1) Thursday, August 4
- ABA Representatives & SBA Pres. Training 9:00am-11:30am ABA Rep & SBA attendance required
- ABA Representatives
- ABA Representative Leadership Manual – Coming Soon
- ABA Rep 2015 Training Agenda – Coming Soon
- SBA Presidents
- SBA 2015 Handbook – Coming Soon
- SBA Presidents Training – Coming Soon
- Vice Chair 200 Ideas – Coming Soon
- ABA Representatives
- All Students Roundtable and Idea Raiser 12:00pm–2:30pm Lunch Provided
2) Friday, August 5
- Election Polls: Division Delegate & SBA President 2:00pm–4:00pm
- Candidate Voting
Saturday, August 6
- YLD Assembly & Distinguished Guest Speeches 8:45am–12:30pm – Palace Hotel
- Robert’s Rules and Resolutions Review for Assembly Delegates 11:30am-1:00pm – Palace Hotel
- Law Student Division Assembly 1:00pm -4:00pm Palace Hotel
1) About the Assembly
The ABA Law Student Division Assembly is the voice of the Division. It is comprised of two official voting delegates from each ABA accredited law school:
The Assembly meets once a year at the Division’s Annual meeting. The Assembly debates and votes on resolutions relating to legal education, student life, and Division governance. It also elects the Division’s three Delegates to the ABA House of Delegates, and SBA Presidents elect the Vice Chair-SBA.
2) Key Assembly Documents and Links
- 2016 Assembly Standing Rules
- Letter to Deans Encouraging Funding and Attendance
- Law Student Division Assembly Resolutions
- 2016 Assembly Book
- Law Student Division Bylaws
- Proxy Certification
- Robert’s Rules of Order – Slide Show
- Robert’s Rules Chart
3) Assembly Delegates Voting Information
Each SBA President or ABA Representative, or their proxy, is eligible to vote at the Annual Meeting as an “Assembly Delegate.” ABA Representatives or SBA Presidents who have also registered to attend the 2016 Annual Meeting are automatically certified as Delegates. All Delegates should check in at the Delegate Certification desk to receive a delegate ribbon which is required to vote.
- ABA Membership is Required – You must be ABA Law Student Division members for the current bar year to vote.
- Reporting is Required – You must self-report your position to the ABA Law Student Division through the SBA Presidents and ABA Representatives Reporting Forms.
- Check if we have you on record: Directory of SBA Presidents and ABA Representatives (Assembly Delegates)
- Report here: ABA Rep and SBA President Reporting Form
- Schools with Multiple Representatives – Law schools with multiple SBA Presidents and/or ABA Representatives must determine one individual who will serve as its principal SBA President and/or ABA Representative delegates in the Assembly and during the election.
4) Assembly Proxy Voting
Principal delegates who are unable to attend the Annual Meeting may proxy their school’s vote to another member of the Law Student Division who attends the same law school. To certify a proxy holder, the principal delegate must complete the Proxy Certification Form no later than July 27, 2016. Late proxy requests will be approved at the sole discretion of the Division.