2016-2017 Elected Officers
2016-2017 Elected Governors
Chair Job Description
The Chair is the chief executive student leader of the Law Student Division and its Council.
You’ll lead a team of students from across the U.S. and be involved in everything from guiding high-level goals and priorities for the Division to setting agendas for Board meetings. This is a challenging position, but it offers remarkable leadership training in the ABA.
Rather than years of planning and preparation for this role like most ABA Chairs, our Chair transitions into this role after a few short months as Chair-Elect. So previous association or student governance experience, and/or a previous ABA position, is considered a major plus in this role.
This is a demanding position – the equivalent of a part-time job. Students with significant time commitments outside of law school may find the commitment difficult.
- Time Commitment: Equivalent to a part-time job (25-30 hours weekly).
- Election Method: Elected electronically after Midyear meeting each year by the members of the Assembly.
- Term: Officer-elect from March to August, Assumes one-year term at ABA Annual meeting in August. Ends the following year’s ABA Annual Meeting.
- Membership Level: Must be a Premium Law Student Division member.*
The LSD Chair:
- Represents the Law Student Division and speaks on its behalf.
- Executes the Division’s mission and goals.
- Hosts the ABA Law Student Podcast.
- Establishes, maintains, and furthers the Division’s relationships and contacts with ABA entities, ABA professional staff, and other organizations.
- Coordinates with Division Council and ABA entities to address legal issues concerning students including transmitting resolutions to the ABA House of Delegates and other ABA entities, identifying other entities which may support and/or co-sponsor a resolution, utilizing liaisons to gain support within other entities, and reporting to the membership.
- Chairs the Law Student Division Council and the Assembly.
- Prepares agendas and reports for all Division meetings (8-10 reports annually).
- Participates in the ABA’s annual lobbying delegation to Congress related to current ABA policy and supports other appropriate lobbying efforts.
- Communicates regularly with council members on Division and Association issues.
- Communicates with ABA officers and executive officials.
- Serves as a voting representative on the Young Lawyers Division (YLD) Executive Council. Attends and submits reports for each meeting (4 meetings/reports annually).
- Coordinates with ABA entities to appoint law student liaisons to appropriate entities.
- Recognizes outstanding service by a council member or other Division appointment.
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
This position is expected to attend the following. Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines.
- YLD Leadership Meeting in June
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer-elect)
- Section Officers Conference in September
- Fall YLD Meeting in October
- ABA Midyear Meeting in February (Passport Required)
- ABA Day in April
- Spring YLD Meeting in May
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer)
- Other travel as needed to fulfill commitments on committees as appointed throughout the year
To be certified as a candidate, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A Premium Law Student Division member*
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the academic year subsequent to June 1, 2016;
- A law student who has received the approval of his/her law school dean to run for office. All nomination forms must be approved and signed by each candidate’s dean; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements
Nomination Deadline: January 15, 2016
- Complete the electronic Nomination Form
The electronic Nomination Form, all required documents, and video statement link, must be submitted by 11:59 pm CST on January 15, 2016. These are “strict liability” deadlines and requirements. No exceptions.
- Include their Dean’s Certification Form (Download Now)
The Certification Form (download now) must be a PDF that follows this naming convention: CH, VC or ST-[your last name]-Certification. Example: CH-Doe-Certification.
The Certification Form must contain your Dean’s signature and be submitted electronically as part of your Nomination Form. Any dean at the law school at which you are registered may sign. Written or electronic signatures are acceptable.
- Include a statement and resume
The statement and resume must be a PDF that follows this naming convention: CH, VC, or ST-[your last name]-S&R. Example: CH-Doe-S&R
Statement and resume combined must not exceed three single-sided, 8.5” x 11” pages. Anything in excess of the limit will be truncated after the third page.
- OPTIONAL: Provide Video Statement Link
Video Statement Guidelines:
- All video statements should discuss candidate qualifications and platform.
- Only the candidate can appear in the video.
- The video statement content must be of a professional nature.
- No music is permitted.
- All video statements must adhere to copyright laws.
- The video content cannot violate any provisions of the Elections Code.
- The election committee will reject any video statements that violate these guidelines or the spirit of these guidelines.
- OPTIONAL: Candidate Headshot
- Must be .jpg or .png
- Must be less than 16MB
- Must be 300px x 300px or less
*Premium Law Student Division Members receive exclusive benefits ranging from: $250 off BARBRI Bar Review, $25 off West Academic Casebooks & Study Guides, The ability to compete in student competitions and run for leadership positions, connections to ABA Lawyers for resume review, free books and eBooks, and access to a free Quimbee.com Legal Ethics Course online. All for $25!