Applications are OPEN! Deadline no later than 11:59pm (CST) on June 15th, 2016
Vice Chair-SBA is a very unique officer position for the Division’s Board of Governors. Elected by a vote of all SBA presidents at Annual Meeting, you represent the collective voice of law school’s student governing bodies. Listening to and communicating with your constituency is the key to success in this position.
Time commitment: 10-15 hours weekly
Elected by the SBA Conference (SBA Presidents who are ABA members from each ABA-approved law school) and confirmed by the Law Student Division Board of Governors. The election takes place during the ABA Annual Meeting in August.
The successful candidate for this position serves a one-year term of office as Vice Chair-SBA beginning at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting through adjournment of the following Annual Meeting (August of this year -August of next year)
The Vice Chair-SBA:
- Oversees the relationship between the SBA and ABA organizations at local, regional and national levels.
- Promotes SBA participation and membership in the Division and the ABA.
- Regularly communicates with SBA Presidents at each ABA-approved law school via list serves and web boards to advise of ABA initiatives and programs of concern to law students. Serves as the SBA Presidents’ liaison to the Division and represents SBA concerns to the Division.
- Gathers information from national organizations committed to representing interests of student bar associations.
- Develops copy for posting on the SBA Presidents webpage of the Division website.
- Responsible for securing and updating the contact info for the SBA Presidents in each of the ABA-approved law schools.
- Oversees election of Vice Chair-SBA successor at the ABA Annual Meeting.
- Updates SBA Handbook.
- Develops programming for SBA Presidents Conference at the ABA Annual Meeting.
- Promotes and oversees implementation of chapter charters.
- Co-Chairs the Division’s Membership & SBA Committee.
- Assists in judging the Division’s national awards.
- Serves on Division’s Executive Board. Participates on officer conference calls.
- Prepares and submits comprehensive officer and committee reports (8 annually).
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
This position is expected to attend the following. Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines.
- Section Officers Conference and Fall Board of Governors Meeting in September
- Fall Circuit Meeting(s) as needed (travel not reimbursable)
- ABA Midyear Meeting in February
- Spring Circuit Meeting(s) as needed (travel not reimbursable)
- Spring Board of Governors Training Meeting in March or April
- ABA Annual Meeting in August
Other travel as needed to fulfill commitments on committees as appointed throughout the year
Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines.
To be certified as a candidate for Vice Chair, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the academic year subsequent to June 1, 2016;
- A law student who has received the approval of his/her law school dean to run for office. All nomination forms must be approved and signed by each candidate’s dean; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements.
Deadline no later than 11:59pm (CST) on June 15th, 2016