Our Vice Chair’s focus is membership. You’ll help lead the ABA’s efforts to reach and engage law students across the country. Recruiting new members is just part of your job. This position is expected to help develop a better ABA experience for law students through meaningful events, programming, and content. You will also serve on the greater ABA’s Standing Committee on Membership, where you’ll have an opportunity to work with the group that helps shapes the membership experience for all ABA members.
Time commitment: 15-20 hours weekly.
Election Method: The Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary-Treasurer are elected each year by the Law Student Division Board of Governors which consists of five officers, three delegates to the ABA House of Delegates and fifteen regional circuit governors.
Term: Successful candidates for each of these positions serve as Officers-Elect from March to August before assuming their one-year term of office (August of this year to August of next year) at the conclusion of the ABA Annual Meeting.
The Vice Chair:
- Works with SCOM, Membership and Marketing, and the Division Director to maintain and develop Division Membership programs, plans, and activities.
- Serves as Division liaison to the ABA Standing Committee on Membership (SCOM).
- Attends SCOM meetings and submits reports to the Division (4 meetings/reports annually).
- Participates on monthly SCOM conference calls and subcommittee conference calls as needed to address student membership.
- Participates on bi-monthly conference calls with Membership and Marketing.
- Promotes the Division’s programs, activities, and national competitions through regular communications with the ABA.
- Develops membership initiatives and activities for ABA Representatives’ membership campaigns. Encourages, motivates and supports ABA Representatives in their ABA activities.
- Keeps fully apprised of each circuit governor’s activities in the area of membership and programs.
- Responsible for securing and updating the contact info for the ABA Representatives in each of the ABA-approved law schools.
- Updates the ABA Representatives Handbook.
- Plans and coordinates the ABA Representatives workshop held at the ABA Annual Meeting.
- Co-Chairs the Division’s Membership & SBA Committee.
- Assists in judging the Division’s National Awards.
- Serves on the Division’s Executive Board.
- Participates on officer conference calls.
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
This position is expected to attend the following. Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines.
- Spring Board of Governors Training Meeting on March 31st – April 1st (Mandatory)
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer-elect)
- Section Officers Conference and Fall Board of Governors Meeting in September
- Fall Circuit Meeting(s) as needed (travel not reimbursable)
- Fall SCOM Meeting in October
- ABA Midyear Meeting in February
- Spring Circuit Meeting(s) as needed (travel not reimbursable)
- Spring Board of Governors Training Meeting in March or April
- Spring SCOM Meeting in April
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer)
- Other travel as needed to fulfill commitments on committees as appointed throughout the year
To be certified as a candidate for Vice Chair, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the academic year subsequent to June 1, 2016;
- A law student who has received the approval of his/her law school dean to run for office. All nomination forms must be approved and signed by each candidate’s dean; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements.
Nomination Deadline: January 15, 2016
- Complete the electronic Nomination Form
The electronic Nomination Form, all required documents, and video statement link, must be submitted by 11:59 pm CST on January 15, 2016. These are “strict liability” deadlines and requirements. No exceptions.
- Include their Dean’s Certification Form (Download Now)
The Certification Form (download now) must be a PDF that follows this naming convention: CH, VC or ST-[your last name]-Certification. Example: CH-Doe-Certification.
The Certification Form must contain your Dean’s signature and be submitted electronically as part of your Nomination Form. Any dean at the law school at which you are registered may sign. Written or electronic signatures are acceptable.
- Include a statement and resume
The statement and resume must be a PDF that follows this naming convention: CH, VC, or ST-[your last name]-S&R. Example: CH-Doe-S&R
Statement and resume combined must not exceed three single-sided, 8.5” x 11” pages. Anything in excess of the limit will be truncated after the third page.
- OPTIONAL: Provide Video Statement Link
Video Statement Guidelines:
- All video statements should discuss candidate qualifications and platform.
- Only the candidate can appear in the video.
- The video statement content must be of a professional nature.
- No music is permitted.
- All video statements must adhere to copyright laws.
- The video content cannot violate any provisions of the Elections Code.
- The election committee will reject any video statements that violate these guidelines or the spirit of these guidelines.
- OPTIONAL: Candidate Headshot
- Must be .jpg or .png
- Must be less than 16MB
- Must be 300px x 300px or less