The Law Student At-Large of the ABA’s Board of Governors is one of the ABA’s most prestigious and unique leadership opportunities for law students. This person’s duties are threefold:
- Member of the ABA Board of Governors.
- Member of the ABA House of Delegates.
- Member of the Law Student Division Council.
The 38-member ABA Board of Governors oversees the general operations and strategic direction of the entire ABA. Of those 38 members, many wait years for the opportunity to serve on the Board, yet only one is a law student.
Our Law Student At-Large is a critical and visible role in the ABA. You represent the Law Student Division positions to the ABA Board of Governors and work for adoption of initiatives supported by the Division. Not only do you have a vote in the ABA Board of Governors, but you have a vote in the ABA House of Delegates.
The ideal candidate for this position has either bar association leadership, or some type of board or organizational leadership experience. The successful candidate must appropriately and persuasively convey the views of the Division to the ABA Board of Governors, and in turn, report back to the Division leadership as a member of the Law Student Division Council. He or she will also interact closely with the high ranking officials in the ABA. Punctuality, dress appearance, appropriate conversation, and mature behavior are critical.
- Time commitment: 15-20 hours weekly.
- Election Method: Selected each year by the LSD Nominating Committee. Confirmation vote, electronically, before the Law Student Division Assembly.
- Term: The successful candidate for this position serves as the Division’s Member-Elect from March to August before assuming a one-year term of office (August of this year – August of the following year) at the conclusion of the ABA Annual Meeting.
- Membership Level: Must be a Premium Law Student Division member.*
Law Student Division Member of the ABA Board of Governors:
- As directed by the Division leadership, promotes Law Student Division positions to the ABA Board of Governors.
- Works with the ABA Board of Governors on adoption of Division initiatives and initiatives directly affecting law students filed with the ABA Board of Governors.
- Attending and representing the Division to the ABA House of Delegates sessions at the Midyear and Annual Meetings.
- Vote as a member of the ABA House of Delegates.
- Work with the Division Delegates to coordinate advocacy strategy on behalf of the Division in the House.
- Informs the Division Council of actions pending before the Board, as well as any action taken by the Board, at the conclusion of each of the ABA Board of Governors meetings.
- Seeks out and informs the Division Council of any pending resolutions before the Board that the Division may be interested in supporting.
- Serves on an ABA Board of Governors’ Committee designated by the Board, and at the Board’s request, and must prepare to participate in the duties involved therein.
- Works with the Division Chair and other council members to determine which issues to support.
- Assists in judging the Division’s National Awards.
- Serves on Division Council. Participates on Division Council conference calls.
- Prepares and submits comprehensive reports on Association, Division, and ABA Board of Governors activity and action. (8 reports annually)
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
This position is expected to attend the following. Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines.
- ABA BOG Meeting in June
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer-elect)
- Section Officers Conference in September
- ABA BOG Meeting in November
- ABA Midyear Meeting in February (Passport Required)
- ABA Day in April
- ABA BOG Meeting in June
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer)
- Other travel as needed to fulfill commitments on committees as appointed throughout the year
- Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines
To be certified as a candidate for Law Student Division Member to the ABA Board of Governors, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A Premium Law Student Division member.*
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the academic year subsequent to June 1, 2017;
- A law student who has received the approval of his/her law school dean to run for office. All application forms must be approved and signed by each candidate’s dean; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements.