Our Vice Chair’s focus is membership. You’ll help lead the ABA’s efforts to reach and engage law students across the country. Recruiting new members is just part of your job. This position is expected to help develop a better ABA experience for law students through meaningful events, programming, and content. You will also serve on the greater ABA’s Standing Committee on Membership, where you’ll have an opportunity to work with the group that helps shapes the membership experience for all ABA members.
- Time commitment 15-20 hours weekly.
- Election Method: Elected at the ABA Annual meeting by the Law Student Division Assembly.
- Term: Serves as a Officer-elect until the commencement of a one-year term beginning at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting through adjournment of the following Annual Meeting.
- Membership Level: Must be a Premium Law Student Division member.*
The Vice Chair:
- Works with SCOM, Membership and Marketing, and the Division Director to maintain and develop Division Membership programs, plans, and activities.
- Serves as Division liaison to the ABA Standing Committee on Membership (SCOM).
- Attends SCOM meetings and submits reports to the Division (4 meetings/reports annually).
- Participates on monthly SCOM conference calls and subcommittee conference calls as needed to address student membership.
- Participates on bi-monthly conference calls with Membership and Marketing.
- Promotes the Division’s programs, activities, and national competitions through regular communications with the ABA.
- Develops membership initiatives and activities for ABA Representatives’ membership campaigns. Encourages, motivates and supports ABA Representatives in their ABA activities.
- Responsible for securing and updating the contact info for the ABA Representatives in each of the ABA-approved law schools.
- Updates the ABA Representatives Handbook.
- Plans and coordinates the ABA Representatives workshop held at the ABA Annual Meeting.
- Co-Chairs the Division’s Membership & SBA Committee.
- Assists in judging the Division’s National Awards.
- Serves on the Division Council.
- Participates on Division Council conference calls.
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
This position is expected to attend the following. Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines.
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer-elect)
- Section Officers Conference in September
- Fall SCOM Meeting in October
- ABA Midyear Meeting in February (Passport Required)
- Spring SCOM Meeting in April
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer)
- Other travel as needed to fulfill commitments on committees as appointed throughout the year
To be certified as a candidate for Vice Chair, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A Premium Law Student Division member*
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the entire academic year subsequent to June 1, 2017 – i.e., December 2017 graduates are ineligible;
- A law student who has received the approval of his/her law school dean to run for office. All application forms must be approved and signed by each candidate’s dean; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements.
Application Deadline: Sunday, June 4, 2017, 11:59pm. Full application instructions are on the first page of the electronic application form.