Help decide who will lead this Division into the future!
As a member of the Nominating Committee you review and interview law student applicants for all Division Council positions. You’ll identify qualified candidates, and place them before the full voting body who selects the winner.
The Nominating Committee members’ tenure lasts for about 8 months, through two campaign seasons. The Committee nominates for the 7 highest positions on the Division’s executive council. The first set of elections occurs in Spring (3 positions), the next at Annual Meeting in August (4 positions). So you must be available in January/February, as well as May/June – the weeks prior to the campaign period and election season where the bulk of this committee’s workload will be concentrated.
Nominating Committee appointments are open to ABA Reps and SBA Presidents only. The Nominating Committee is comprised of 3 SBA Presidents, 3 ABA Representatives along with the both the Current and Immediate Past Chairs of the Law Student Division, and the Immediate Past Law Student Division Member of the ABA Board of Governors.
Time commitment: 15-20 hours in January/February and May/June.
- Election Method: Appointed by the Law Student Division Chair
- Term: January 2017 – July 2017
- Membership Level: Must be a Premium Law Student Division member.*
The Nominating Committee:
- Participates on Nominating Committee conference calls.
- Follow and understand the current Election Code
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
To be certified as a candidate for the Nominating Committee, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A Premium Law Student Division member*
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the Spring semester of the current academic year;
- A law student who is a current ABA Representative or SBA President;
- A law student who is non-eligible to run or has declined to run for a Law Student Division Council position in the coming academic year; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements
Application Deadline: January 15, 2017
1) Complete the electronic Application Form. The electronic Application Form, statement, and resume must be submitted by 11:59 pm CST on January 15, 2017. These are “strict liability” deadlines and requirements. No exceptions.
2) Include a statement and resume. The statement and resume must be a PDF that follows this naming convention: NC-[your last name]-S&R. Example: NC-Doe-S&R. Statement and resume combined must not exceed three single-sided, 8.5” x 11” pages. Anything in excess of the limit will be truncated after the third page.