VITA National Student Director
Term: July 1 – June 30
The term of the National Student Director for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) begins on July 1 and ends the following June 31st. The NSD participates in activities and performs specific tasks assigned by the Division Chair to build and improve the overall quality of the American Bar Association’s VITA program as follows:
- Serves as a link between the Law Student Division and independent VITA sites at ABA-approved law schools.
- Provides guidance and serves as a VITA information clearing house to participating VITA sites.
- Researches innovative tools law students can use to prepare tax returns and provides updates in tax laws.
- Updates and researches information for the VITA Handbook distributed at the Annual Meeting.
- Communicates with VITA participants via the Law Student Division VITA List Serve.
- Prepares copy and updates for the ABA Law Student Division VITA webpage.
- Maintains a communication pipeline regarding the Law Student Division VITA program with the Law Student Division Liaison to the ABA Section on Taxation and the Circuit Lt. Governors for VITA.
- Collects VITA electronic registration forms and prepares a database of all Law Student Division VITA participants.
- Collects and summarizes VITA electronic reports from ABA-approved law schools participating in the program. Reports are submitted electronically from VITA coordinators in February, March and April. A final report from all VITA sites is submitted electronically in May.
- Prepares three status reports to the ABA Law Student Division Board of Governors (October, March and May).
- Participates on the Annual VITA Award Selection Committee.
- Provides creative suggestions and methods for increasing the number of ABA-approved law schools participating in the Law Student Division VITA program.
- Consult with the Student Lawyer editor on writing a brief article for Student Lawyer describing the purposes/activities of VITA at ABA-approved law schools.
- Participate on the liaison training conference call.
- Attend the Annual Meeting Liaison training session.
Time commitment: 10 hours monthly.
The application period for this position is closed.