ABA Annual Meeting week is finally here! Thursday is the first official day of meetings, events, and more. And the staff of the Law Student Division will be arriving over the next few days to get things ready.
The ABA released a last-minute Things to Know Before You Go list. Let’s hit some of the highlights and add a few of our own:
The ABA Annual App
The Annual App has all the important information you’ll need for this event, as well as features to enhance your event experience, including:
- Full event schedule (by day, entity, track, speaker)
- Speaker information
- Program descriptions
- Network with and find other attendees
- Social sharing on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
- Notifications, updates and more
The ABA will also be on Snapchat during Annual Meeting. Follow us here.
Law Student Division events
We’ve set up some great events for students at annual:
- Law Student Division All Student Roundtable & Idea Raiser, Thursday, noon
- Navigating the Waters of Student Debt, Thursday, 2:30 p.m.
- Mindfulness: Creating a Healthy Lifestyle for Law Students, Thursday, 4 p.m.
- Careers in Labor & Employment Law, Friday, 8:30 a.m.
- TIPS Interview & Resume Workshop, Friday, 8:30 a.m.
- Getting to Hired: Tips for Your Job Search Journey, Friday, 9:30 a.m.
- Law Student Diversity Roundtable, Friday, 1 p.m.
- Incoming ABA President Linda Klein
- Jeena Cho, author of “The Anxious Lawyer”
- Kate Kendell, Executive Director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights
- Raychelle Tasher, President of Ms. JD
Meet, mingle and network with YLD
The Young Lawyers Division will be hosting some events with us, including:
- First Timers Orientation & Reception
- Welcome Reception at Ruby Skye Nightclub
- Networking Breakfasts (Aug. 5 and 6)
- HIV and the Workplace: The State of the Law
- The State of Indigent Litigation
- Getting to Hired: Tips for Your Job Search Journey
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity for Law Firms
- That’s a Wrap: The Good, the Bad, and the Reversible in Closing
- Young Lawyers Division Section Connect
- Young Lawyers Division Assembly
Head to the ABA EXPO on Aug. 5 and 6. It’s the largest annual gathering of legal professionals, and it’s designed to provide one-stop shopping for American Bar Association members and the legal community.
Not only that, it’s a great time to get your professional photo taken in the Headshot Lounge. They’ll have make-up artists on hand to make sure you look good – and ready for that first job!
There are also prizes, a tech lounge, presentations, authors panels and other opportunities to connect with members of the legal field.
The Law Student Assembly, sponsored by Microsoft Surface, takes place on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Palace Hotel Grand Ballroom. In addition to voting on resolutions, awards will be handed out and the results of elections for Vice Chair SBA and Division Delegates will be announced.
It will be over in plenty of time for the The ABA’s General Assembly, which starts at 4:30 p.m. at the Moscone Center West, 3rd floor ballroom. The keynote speaker is The Honorable Tani G. Cantil-Sakauye, Chief Justice, Supreme Court of California.
ABA Plenary Session
The topic is Emerging Issues in National Security and Law Enforcement with keynote speaker: James Comey, FBI Director on Friday 5 from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
ABA President’s Reception
The President’s Reception will take place immediately following the General Assembly from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.