Attorney John Hardin “Jack” Young was on the team of lawyers for the Democratic National Committee during the 2000 Florida election recount and the Bush v. Gore case, and is portrayed in the HBO film “Recount.”
In this Career Choice Series webinar, Young discussed current election issues in our country, his experiences, and how he got involved in this area of practice.
“It’s an easy area to break into,” Young says. “And it’s an important one, simply because you’re dealing with friends and neighbors, people that you will deal with in your practice. Think about election law really being about how we govern ourselves. And how we govern ourselves is through people.”
Election law includes questions such as:
- Which people are entitled to vote (age, residency or literacy requirements)
- Procedures by which persons must register to vote or present identification in order to vote
- The financing of elections
- The requirements for creating districts
- Rules governing write in candidates
- How the votes are counted, recount and election challenges
- And much more.
You can catch a glimpse of Young’s portrayal in “Recount” in this clip from the movie: