Ready to start your dream career? Apply for an Equal Justice Works Fellowship!
Designing your own Fellowship presents a unique opportunity to create your dream job. Applicants, in collaboration with legal service organizations, have the opportunity to leverage their law degree in service of a community or cause of their choice. From addressing areas of law as diverse as racial justice, disaster recovery, housing and homelessness, and immigration, Fellows in the program spend two years building sustainable solutions for their community.
We don’t fund general staff attorneys; we help create new roles. As an Equal Justice Works Fellow, you will have a chance to design a brand-new project at a legal services organization to address an unmet need. Need more reasons to apply?
Serving as an Equal Justice Works Fellow comes with many benefits, such as:
- Salary: Fellows are guaranteed to be paid the equivalent to that of a similarly qualified and experienced lawyer at their host organization. Equal Justice Works provides up to $50,000 annually towards each Fellow’s salary.
- Fringe Benefits: Fellows receive the same health insurance and fringe benefits as everyone else at their host organization.
- Loan Repayment Assistance: Through a Loan Repayment Assistance Program, Fellows can qualify for up to $5,000 in LRAP assistance per Fellowship year.
- Leadership Development Training: Equal Justice Works holds a three-day training every year for Fellows. This training includes a combination of general sessions on fundamental legal skills, specialized workshops on particular areas of law, and networking events.
- Ongoing Guidance and Support: Equal Justice Works provides Fellows with support and opportunities to connect with one another and acquire the skills needed to succeed throughout their projects and beyond.
Don’t just take our word for it, here’s what Alayna Bartko, a 2019 Equal Justice Works Fellow cosponsored by PNC Bank and Reed Smith LLP had to say about the Fellowship experience:
“I am grateful to have the opportunity to advocate for my community as an Equal Justice Works Fellow at KidsVoice… My Fellowship allows me to develop innovative approaches, which have the potential to provide better outcomes for children impacted by the opioid epidemic.”
Our Design-Your-Own Fellowship is open to individuals who have graduated from an Equal Justice Works Member Law School before September 2021 with a J.D. or LL.M. Applicants may not have held a full time (more than 30 hours/week), permanent, public interest lawyer position, though applicants coming from private practice or bridge/gap fellowships or clerkships are eligible.
You went to law school to make a difference. Here’s your chance.
We’re here to support you each step of the way through the application process. If you have any questions, please contact us at Fellowships@equaljustice…. For more information on the Fellowship application process, view our Application Guide to learn more about benefits and project eligibility.