As the single voice for law students in the official law school accrediting body, your role is vital to keeping the Law Student Division informed of upcoming legal education issues and discussions.
This new position was created in 2017 and your unique passion for higher education and legal ed reforms are precisely what makes you a great fit.
A proven ability to interact professionally with senior officials and academics will help you in this role. Background or experience in higher education administration or policy is also a plus.
- Time commitment: 15-20 hours weekly.
- Election Method: Three applicants are recommended to the ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar by the Law Student Division Nominating Committee. The successful candidate is be appointed by the Council of the Section of Legal Education.
- Education Director-Elect Period: Once the Section of Legal Education nominates a single candidate, typically sometime in the spring, that candidate will serve in an Officer-Elect, non-voting capacity on the Law Student Division Council.
- Term: Assumes the official one-year term starting at the next Annual Meeting through the following Annual Meeting (August to August).
- Membership Level: Must be a Premium Law Student Division member.
You must complete the application form in its entirety, including the required attachments:
- Your Required Certification Form PDF
- Statement/resume PDF
- Headshot image
- Publicly available video statement link (optional, 5 minute maximum time limit, and not needed for editorial positions)
The deadline for submission is January 15, 2020 at 11:59 AM Central Time. No exceptions will be granted.
The Education Director:
- Serves as the Law Student on the Council of the Section of Legal Education.
- Liaises between the Law Student Division and Section of Legal Education, keeping Law Student Division leadership informed of upcoming issues and concerns in legal education.
- Works with the Section of Legal Education and the Division Director to maintain and develop Division Education programs, plans, and activities.
- Attends Section of Legal Education Council meetings (5 meetings annually).
- Promotes the Division’s programs, activities, and national competitions through regular communications with the ABA.
- Assists with planning and coordinating Legal Education programming held at the ABA Annual Meeting.
- Assists in judging the Division’s National Awards.
- Serves on the Division Council.
- Participates on Division Council conference calls.
- Follows and understands the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
This position is expected to attend the following in-person events or meetings. Travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division and Section of Legal Education subject to Division and Section guidelines.
- ABA Annual Meeting in August 2020 in Chicago (as officer-elect)
- Section Officers Conference/Fall Law Student Council Meeting in September 2020
- Legal Education Council Meeting in October 2020
- Legal Education Council Meeting in December 2020
- ABA Midyear Meeting in February 2021 in Chicago
- Legal Education Council Meeting in March 2021
- Legal Education Council Meeting in June 2021
- ABA Annual Meeting in August 2021 in Toronto (as officer)
To be certified as a candidate, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A Premium Law Student Division member
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the academic year subsequent to June 1, 2020;
- A law student who has received the approval of his/her law school dean to run for office. All application forms must be approved and signed by each candidate’s dean; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements.