We want to reach as many law students as we can, and with you, we have a better chance of doing that.
Your focus will be everything membership. This means you will help develop programming, content, and events that create a better experience for all ABA members.
Put all your exciting events, engaging social media plans, and other big ideas into one place.
- Time commitment 15-20 hours weekly.
- Election Method: Elected in March by an electronic vote of the Assembly.
- Officer-Elect Period: Serves immediately upon election in a non-voting, Officer-Elect capacity on the Council through the conclusion of the next ABA Annual Meeting in August.
- Term: Assumes the official one-year term starting at the next Annual Meeting through the following Annual Meeting (August to August).
- Membership Level: Must be a Premium Law Student Division member.
You must complete the application form in its entirety, including the required attachments:
- Your Required Certification Form PDF
- Statement/resume PDF
- Headshot image
- Publicly available video statement link (optional, 5 minute maximum time limit, and not needed for editorial positions)
The deadline for submission is January 15, 2020 at 11:59 AM Central Time. No exceptions will be granted.
The Vice Chair will:
- Serve as Division liaison to the ABA Standing Committee on Membership (SCOM).
- Work with SCOM, Membership and Marketing, and the Division Director to maintain and develop Division Membership programs, plans, and activities.
- Attend SCOM meetings and submits reports to the Division (4 meetings/reports annually).
- Participate on monthly SCOM conference calls and subcommittee conference calls as needed to address student membership.
- Participate on bi-monthly conference calls with Membership and Marketing.
- Promote the Division’s programs, activities, and national competitions through regular communications of the ABA.
- Develop membership initiatives and activities for ABA Representatives’ membership campaigns. Encourage, motivates and supports ABA Representatives in their ABA activities.
- Responsible for securing and updating the contact info for the ABA Representatives in each of the ABA-approved law schools.
- Update the ABA Representatives Handbook.
- Plan and coordinate the ABA Representatives workshop held at the ABA Annual Meeting.
- Co-Chair the Division’s Membership & SBA Committee.
- Assist in judging the Division’s National Awards.
- Serve on the Division Council.
- Participate on Division Council conference calls.
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.
This position is expected to attend the following. Most travel-related expenses are reimbursed by the Division subject to Division guidelines.
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer-elect)
- Section Officers Conference/Fall Council Meeting in September
- Fall SCOM Meeting in October
- ABA Midyear Meeting in February
- Spring SCOM Meeting in April
- ABA Annual Meeting in August (as officer)
To be certified as a candidate for Vice Chair, an individual must be:
- A law student attending an ABA-approved law school;
- An ABA Law Student Division member for the current bar year by the filing deadline;
- A Premium Law Student Division member
- A law student in good standing at law school (not on academic probation or suspension) during the academic year;
- A law student who has not received his/her first degree in law;
- A law student attending law school during the entire academic year subsequent to June 1, 2020
- A law student who has received the approval of his/her law school dean to run for office. All application forms must be approved and signed by each candidate’s dean; and
- A law student who is in compliance with the submission deadlines and requirements.